Ayasuluk, formerly known as Selçuk, was taken over by the Aydınoğulları Principality in 1304 and joined the territory of the Ottoman Empire in 1426.
In 1914, the name of Ayasuluk was changed to Selçuk and after the Independence War, the name of Akincilar Selcuk was included in Izmir in 1957 and the district was given the title. Selcuk is one of the largest open-air museums in the world.
It was one of the most important settlements of the Ancient Age. Most of the historical buildings in Selçuk are still standing. Ephesus is a very important center for Turkish and world tourism. Ephesus is visited by approximately 2 million visitors every year.
Selçuk Ephesus Museum is one of the most important and richest museums in Europe with only local artifacts it owns and exhibits. Apart from these activities, conferences and painting exhibitions held in the museum keep the cultural life alive.
Isa Bey Mosque, one of the most important works of Seljuk art, is located in Selcuk. The mosque is the oldest known example of both the Turkish mosque type courtyard and the mosques with Anatolian columns. Sirince Village is a popular rural tourism center.
Selçuk can be reached by all means of transportation. By road, İzmir-Aydın Highway, by air to Adnan Menderes Airport, by sea to Kuşadası Port, by rail to İzmir (Basmane)- Selçuk – Denizli direction, 8 times a day and lasting 75 minutes, train services can be used.